Monday, November 10, 2008

Letting my inner-dork get the best of me

So this weekend I thought I'd take a stab at competing for a Dell XPS laptop by playing in a Warcraft Minatures Sealed Booster at the Darkmoon Faire in Anaheim. The game hasn't been released yet (Nov. 11), but I had the chance to get ahold of minis and learn the game earlier from BlizzCon and really liked the game. I got pretty good at it and thought I would have a decent shot at winning. 30 people entered, and the top 8 played the finals the next day. Everyone played 5 games and the people with the best record made top 8. I placed 5th, going 4-1 (Tie breaker rules made me 5th rather than 2nd because we had a few ties at 4-1 and other people ahead of me played opponents with better records than I did).

What's a sealed booster format? It's when you get 2 booster packs (6 minis total) and make a 3 man army from them.

Top 8 DRAFTED and were eliminated after they lost. We were the first people ever to draft that were not Upper Deck employees. I got an amazing team and did very well, scoring a win. The top 4 then re-drafted again and we all were video-taped and interviewed by the lead designer of the game (check upperdeck's website for an update, I might be on there!).

http://entertainment.upperdeck.com/wow/en/events/event.aspx?eid=40

That's how I did. Corle was the guy who won the tourney (and the guy I lost to). I placed 3rd, which wasn't too shabby considering this was my first gaming competition ever.

Oh and drafting btw is when you look at all the cards in the booster, take 1 card from it, and pass it to your left. We had 4 people, 8 boosters, with one booster opened at a time till cards ran out. It was VERY difficult!


What's even more difficult? Writing this music by Friday! AAAAHHH!! :-\

1 comment:

Stragus (Don) said...

That's pretty geeky. You still can't beat me too well at a children's card game though.